The museum was founded and opened to the public on the occasion of the great Peasants’ Revolt 400th anniversary. It is located in the 18th century Baroque castle of the Oršić family.
Within the castle there is a chapel with illusionist mural paintings, an allegoric depiction of the four continents, as well as a painted Baroque altar depicting scenes from the life of Saint Francis Xavier, attributed tothe famous master Anton Lerhinger and considered to be some of the best Baroque paintings. The last members of the Oršić family left the castle in 1924.
There is a decorative garden around the castle, while the surrounding area is a landscaped park with local and exotic plant species. A monument to Matija Gubec also makes part of the park.
A permanent exhibition of sacral art of Croatian Zagorje is staged at the castle's chapel and former sacristy. The new permament exhibition was opened in the summer of 2002 and presents, besides the Peasants’ Revolt, a development of feudalism in north-west Croatia.
Reservations and information: ++385(49) 587-889
Marketing: ++385(49) 587-881
Administration office: ++385(49) 587-888
Accounting office: ++385(49) 587-883
Museum Manager: ++385(49) 587-890